Sunday, August 23, 2009

New Clothes

Apparently, I need new clothes. The ones that I am wearing don't fit. They are too binding. Too heavy. Ugly at times. I guess that is because they really weren't made for me, but I cling to them like some victim on "What not to Wear."

"Let the peace of God reign in your heart." I heard this and the clothes that I wore to church that day, feel tighter, closing around my chest in a heaving anxiety attack. I came dressed in fear. I have chosen impatience as an accessory. Doubt coordinates well with these things. I chose the wrong clothes to walk through the circumstances of life this week. But peace sounded better than cotton. It sounded like a fabric that could hold me together. It sounded simple, classic but so overwhelming to choose because to dress in patience, compassion, humility, gentleness, and kindness requires a vulnerable undressing, a nakedness before God.

Chosen? Holy? Loved?

Deep breath.

Forgive. Breathe. Put on love. Visibly. Be thankful. Do everything for Christ.

I have to chose to wear new clothes. They are beyond circumstances and they are beyond the datedness of the times we live in. They always fit, when we choose them. They are beautiful. It doesn't mean that I won't feel doubt, fear, or impatience; it means that these things won't bind me. These things deteriorate so easily; they leave me so exposed. I choose new clothes unified by love that I am incapable of weaving.

Colossions 3: 12-17. 12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.

15Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. 17And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments:

Post a Comment